Monday 19 January 2015

How to Sell Yourself with Social Media.

Do you have a blog? No! What? I don’t believe it! Then why are you in business?

Think about it. When someone asks you to tell them about what inspired you to start doing what you do, what do you say? Am I right in assuming that you could go on and on telling stories of why you started your own business? That is what you would do in a face-to-face situation, perhaps a networking meeting.

Do you think that telling stories about your business would be any different if you were telling it to your connections online?

Here’s how it works online.

Your blog is the center of your entire marketing program. Yes, your personal story is the center of your marketing program.

Think of a wagon wheel. The center is your blog. Then each pie shape between the spokes is your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Website, etc. If your website also has your blog site, that’s a bonus because then people are brought to your website every time they come to read your blog.

There are some great bloggers I have met in my online lifetime, and every one of them has become very successful in business. Those who read your blog will gain an understanding of your “why” and “who you are”, because the way you write shows people a lot about you. You don’t even have to be a great writer!

You know your topic better than anyone. Why not share that knowledge through short stories?

The most successful people in any business online or offline all have a blog that they write in some way.

Here is what happened to me:

When I left my senior care sales position, I started my Marketing Mentress podcast show. I would find people on LinkedIn and through networking that I wanted to interview on my show. Then I would polish up the interview and write a short blog about the person and their business or book. These would be published on my two websites and sent instantly out to my social media network. I was sometimes doing as many as 7 blog posts a week!

I was getting comments and reviews and people sharing my posts. People would comment on my latest podcast when I met with them. Little did I know that inadvertently, I had a blog at the center of all my online marketing. How important it was to have a blog at the center of my marketing became evident as I attended marketing workshops to expand my knowledge of social media marketing.
Who’d-a-thunk-it! Me a blogger!?

Once you have all your basic platforms all set up and running, including your blog site/website, you are set to rock and roll.

Write a blog post and send the URL to each blog post out to your social media. Be quick to respond to comments about your posts, and remember always be positive with what you say both in your blog and in your online responses to comments. It is all part of how you sell yourself.

Watch for more of my story in “Dragged Kicking and Screaming into Social Media”.

Fired at Fifty: Stop Looking For Work and Discover What You Were Meant to Do.
http://bit.ly/FiredatFiftyKindle

Got a LinkedIn question? Feel free to email me and I will answer it in my next blog.
Christine Till
The LinkedIn Marketing Mentress
1-780-904-9557




No comments:

Post a Comment