Tuesday 2 February 2016

LinkedIn Tip #15 - Recognition!

Everyone loves to receive recognition, whether for their work or for their ideas.

When was the last time someone recognized you for something at work, at home or in the community?

Have you worked hard to accomplish a major goal only to have someone at work take the credit? How did that make you feel? Probably not a positive thought, huh!

Years ago when I was in high school, I wanted to be a cheer leader. (We had a cheer leading squad for our basketball team.) In order to be on the cheer leading squad, we had to "try out". So I practiced and worked hard at kicking high and doing the splits, jumping in rhythm and chanting different cheers.

When that fateful day arrived, we were asked to run through the routines we had prepared. There were some requirements that had to be included in our performance.  I was able to meet all the requirements and make the squad!

But it was not fair!

When I did the splits, I did a complete straight legged front and back light bump on the floor. I was the only one that did the complete splits. Everyone else had a straight front leg and a bent back leg. They only did a partial split.

After that, I endured snide comments about my splits and high kicks, because I could kick a full straight-legged split, kicking one leg up in front of me while standing as well. I received no recognition or "oohs and ahs". The room was dead silent! A couple of the other girls got recognition for their ability instead.

How do you think that made me feel?

I have long since gotten over this, but thought it would help illustrate my point here.

How do you feel when you receive a birthday greeting or a congratulations on your anniversary?

It is especially great to receive a bit of recognition from your business associates, and be recognized for something special, if only for your birthday. It means that someone is thinking of someone other than themselves.

Being successful in life is all about taking your eyes off yourself and focusing on what you can do to boost someone else and help them in some way.

Tip # 15:

When you see someone in your connections has a work anniversary or birthday or a new job, congratulate them. You will make their day and open up a dialogue with them that could turn into business.

Also, when someone endorses you, accept their endorsements and thank them as often as you can.

It is always nice to recognize the recognizer. :-)

When was the last time you recognized someone?

If you are looking for help with how to give recognition on LinkedIn, Join us on Tuesday, February 9th from 7:00pm to 9:00pm MST.

Fired at Fifty: Stop Looking For Work and Discover What You Were Meant to Do.
http://bit.ly/FiredatFiftyKindle

Got a LinkedIn question? Feel free to email me and I will answer it in my next blog.

Christine Till



The LinkedIn Marketing Mentress

1-780-904-9557

No comments:

Post a Comment