Wednesday 12 July 2017

What makes someone an "overnight success?"

Have you been watching people in your network become successful over night?

Exactly what have you noticed about these people? Are they better looking than you? Are they smarter than you? Are they more experienced than you?

Does it sting when you see someone become successful faster than you...and they started their business long after you did?

Why is it that this can happen? You have been working hard in your business and you feel that you deserve to be successful too. Does this make you feel like a failure?

Look at what you are doing. You have no idea about them!

You are comparing yourself to someone that you know nothing about.

You need to stretch yourself to grow.

There is a famous quote by an unknown author, "You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Have you been keeping your eyes on the shore?

Perhaps you are trying to be a lone wolf and do it all by yourself. Know what, I discovered that when I first got started with LinkedIn and other social media platforms, I needed a coach.

When my last boss and I agreed to disagree, I found that I had no decent job offers. What was I going to do? So any red-blooded Canadian woman, I started my own business.

I had no business plan, no idea of how I was going to get clients, no idea of what to do first, second, third, etc. What I am trying to say is that I was trying to do it all by myself. Because I was starting out with no budget, I felt that I had to do it all on my own.

It took time for me to find the right people in my life that could help me with different aspects of my business. I met them all through LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.

Imagine that!

I met Jonathan Christian through Twitter, and then I checked his profile on LinkedIn and contacted him to be a guest on my show. Since then we have built a relationship of friendship and trust that will last through the ages. Jonathan helped me through his workshops to understand Facebook and Twitter. I in turn helped him with Linkedin training for his workshops and clients.

I met Richard Earl through Facebook. Then I looked him up on LinkedIn. Richard travelled across the water from Vancouver Island to meet with me in Vancouver. He showed me how to use HootSuite for my auto-posting platform to help save me time with all the posting I was doing on my social media platforms.

I met my Life Coach, Monika Becker, on LinkedIn and invited her to be my guest on my show. She ended up being my coach helping me through the grief and loss of my job.

These are a few of the wonderful people who have shown up in my life to help me move myself and my business on to the next level. I am so very thankful for them. They have help shape me into what I am today. I will love and respect them all for their help and support forever!

Back to that person who seemed like an overnight success. We do not know what kinds of challenges they have had to overcome in their lives before they were able to achieve success. We do not know how many tears they have shed or how frustrated they were at times wondering what to do next.

Trying to be a lone wolf can be discouraging at times. Let people help you. Invite people to help you.

I would have taken a lot longer to get where I am with my business if I did not get some help along the way.

What do you need help with when it comes to your business? I can probably help you through my networks.

Make it a great day!

You can check out some of my coaching packages at www.marketingmentress.com.

Christine Till

The Marketing Mentress



No comments:

Post a Comment