Monday 23 January 2017

MM Tip #15 - What is Your Biggest Strength?

When you started college I'll wager that you had no idea what you wanted to do. Am I right?

Teachers and counselors in schools are telling you to choose something that you love and to do that the rest of your life.

What they didn't tell you is that a Bachelor of Arts in dancing or majoring in Art may never help you get a job.

But what can you do with that degree to turn it into something that will make you money...enough to pay your bills and keep a roof over your head? What did that degree teach you that you would never have learned anywhere else?

Before you went to college, you were all pumped up about getting a good education and thus getting a good job that would feed and clothe you and your family for the rest of your life.

Tell me, what do you think the probability is of that happening today?

Start reading some good books that are all about positive attitudes, like Napoleon Hill or Dale Carnegie. Just using these two authors will give you a wealth of knowledge that will carry you throughout your career.

Here is what happened to me.

When I was in Grade 11, the principal of the high school took me aside and told me that I would never make it in university and that I should just start learning office skills. I had such low self-esteem that I believed him and switched from academics to business. It tore my heart out because what I really wanted to be was a nurse.

I aced all my classes that year and found that I was bored to tears. By the end of that year, I was beside myself. I really wanted to attend university and become a nurse, but now I did not have the pre-requisites I needed to qualify for university.

I had to go live with my grandmother for my 12th year in a big city that had a huge high school and a much better selection of courses. I worked hard and was able to "matriculate" as they referred to being qualified to attend university.

I chose to attend BYU Ricks in Rexburg, Idaho. (Ricks College)

The first day there I spent standing in long lines to register for my classes. In those days, we did not have computerized registration like we do today.

That day I was extremely ill, but I knew that if I did not endure standing in line after line to complete my registration, I most certainly would not get in all the classes I needed for that semester.

At the end of the long day, I hobbled back to my apartment in Queens Row and straight to bed. Long story short, I had appendicitis and Dr. Rigby, the school doctor, sent me straight to the hospital, where he removed my appendix. Well, that finished my nursing career right then and there.

I fainted at the sight of blood!

Now what was I going to do?! I had registered for all the science courses required for nursing.

Once I was discharged from the hospital, I made an appointment to meet with my assigned counsellor. She helped me change my major from sciences to Education and on the road to becoming a teacher.

I love teaching and working with children. It thrills me to see the "lights go on" when a child learns something brand new!

As I look back now, perhaps there was a divine hand involved in me changing my career, because I came to realize my greatest strength.

I am a teacher through and through. That is what I was meant to be.

Today, my teaching has taken me to coaching businesses and teaching workshops and webinars, helping business owners understand how to use online systems to market themselves and their businesses.

I have taught music to young primary children for 36+ years and now am a Cub Scout leader.

I found my strength. Have you found yours?

Christine Till
The Marketing Mentress




No comments:

Post a Comment