Wednesday 8 March 2017

MM Tip #20 - The Law of Attraction in Marketing.

Are you attracting your customers to you or are you just pitching them?

As I spend hours each day online searching and reading material, I am astounded at how "pitchy" most of the business blogs are. It has been my observation that people do not respond well to being "pitched" to over and over. However, that said, I also notice that people are trying to blog more, especially on Facebook and LinkedIn. You are on the right track.

Here are some ideas from my own personal experience that will help you understand how to use "attraction" to bring customers to you.

I am a Cub Scout leader. We have a pack that meets in our church every week. I am also a classically trained Mezzo Soprano. Here is how these two completely different ideas came together for me.

For over a year I was called to be the Primary Music Chorister. I directed the singing for the children between 3 and 12 years of age for two hours each Sunday. I used puppets and visual aids and actions and fun activities to help the children learn songs. We had great fun together and the children and I would look forward to singing time together each week.

I dearly love the children and enjoy all their brilliance that they bring to the mix. Great fun!

I learned the name of each child so I could address them by name and help make them feel welcome and part of the group. They each got a turn to be my "monitor" or helper, for want of another word.

Fast forward to a year ago when I was called to be a Cub Scout leader for the pack that met in our church.

Oh, I still get asked to pinch hit for the person who is now the chorister in Primary. So the children and I see each other almost every week and we wink at each other and say, "Hi!".

It has now been a year since I was first called to be a Cub Scout leader and I am really not very good at it, in my humble opinion, but I love those boys and they know it.  My name in the Pack is Rukshaw, from the mother wolf in Jungle Book. The big leader of our pack is Akela. 

Together we help the boys 8 to 10 years of age choose activities along the Canadian Path outlined for the Scouting program in Canada.

We have done many great, amusing, fun and challenging activities this past year and our "fame" has been heard among all the young 7 year old boys. We did things like help the boys to extract banana DNA, build fires, have a bike challenge, geo cashing, orienteering, map reading, international day, baking pizza from scratch, make pinatas, knot tying, tons of games and treasure hunts galore.

These are the things that all the younger boys have been hearing.

A few years ago Michael Losier wrote a book called The Law of Attraction. I highly recommend that you read it. It happened to be published at the same time the movie came out and neither one were connected to the other. Talk about divine intervention!

Back to my story.

It has taken a couple of years of consistent effort to build the know, like and trust with the children in Primary. Until one day I had young children come running up to me to give me a big hug whenever I walked into Primary or into the church. What a pleasant surprise!

Yesterday morning I was sitting in a pew waiting for church to start and along came several children, who sat beside me and gave me hugs and shared all about their week and birthdays coming up.  It moved me to tears!

It was all I could do to keep from breaking down on the spot! These precious children made my heart swell, nearly popping out of my chest.

It all happened because I took time to just listen to them and get to know each of them better. One of the children was a boy of 7, who said his birthday is in May, and he is so excited to come to join our Cub Pack! He just wanted to sit with me the whole church meeting despite the promptings to go sit with his family. Finally he begrudgingly went to sit with them at his Dad's insistence.

This story came about because of The Law of Attraction.

My question to you is, "How attractive are you to the people around you?

Are you making it easy for people to approach you and want to do business with you? Is your focus on others or is it on yourself?"

Most of my customers come to me as a result of practicing this great law.

I promise you that if you start applying it, you will receive great results.

Remember that it takes time to build that trust we need and want for business. Also remember that our customers are people too. Their needs are much like our own.

Because I care about you and want to help you in any way I can, I am inviting you to attend a webinar to help clear the fog with the new LinkedIn platform that is now showing up. The cost is minimal...$20.00 Canadian + taxes. It is called "What the Blue Blazes Happened to LinkedIn?"

Date: March 21st at 7:00pm MST

See you there!


Christine Till
The Marketing Mentress


No comments:

Post a Comment